Today I din’t have much time. I had a lot of homework before the summer holiday starts next week, so I just took this from a book and wrote this fast, hope you enjoy.
RAINBOW HAWAIIAN CHICKEN KABOBS
These Rainbow Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs are marinated and basted in a tasty teriyaki sauce, then grilled to perfection and sprinkled with cilantro. So delicious!
RAINBOW HAWAIIAN CHICKEN KABOBS INGREDIENTS:
- wooden or metal skewers
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 batch Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce, divided (see below)
- 2 large green bell peppers, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large red bell peppers, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large pineapple, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons plus extra for brushing the grill
- salt and pepper
- (optional: 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil)
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped fresh cilantro leaves
HAWAIIAN TERIYAKI SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup orange or pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
TO MAKE THE RAINBOW HAWAIIAN CHICKEN KABOBS:
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in a large pan of water for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Combine the chicken and half of the Hawaiian teriyaki sauce in a large ziplock bag or bowl, and toss until the chicken is evenly coated. Seal or cover, and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop up the veggies and pineapple, and add them to a large bowl. Toss with the olive oil until evenly coated.
- Then when the veggies, pineapple and chicken are all ready, thread them onto the skewers. (I went in “rainbow” order — red peppers, chicken, pineapple, green peppers, red onion, repeat.) Season each skewer with salt and pepper.
- Heat the grill to 400°F, and brush the grates with extra olive oil.
- Place the skewers on the grill, and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside. Remove the skewers from the grill.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the the reserved (unused) teriyaki sauce with the sesame oil, then brush the sauce onto on both sides of the skewers. Sprinkle with cilantro, and serve immediately.
TO MAKE THE HAWAIIAN TERIYAKI SAUCE:
- Whisk all ingredients together until combined.